Every day we bring you what we think are some sensible selection options based on today’s upcoming matches; we’re not going to promise that these are guaranteed winners because if we could do that we’d all be millionaires by now. These players are all solid picks based on recent stats and their next opponents so check them out.
Monday night does’t offer much in the way of fixtures but there’s a fascinating tie in the Premier League and and an interesting match up in Spain’s La Liga. This is our entry into Mondogoal’s Global Freeroll.
- Leicester City vs Newcastle United
- Granada vs Espanyol
Here’s Our Pick:
|Goalkeeper||Kasper Schmeichel||Leicester City||£7.6m|
|Defender||Christian Fuchs||Leicester City||£9.4m|
|Midfielder||Riyad Mahrez||Leicester City||£12.9m|
|Midfielder||Jonjo Shelvey||Newcastle United||£8.0m|
|Forward||Jamie Vardy||Leicester City||£9.6m|
Leicester City can continue their inexorable march towards the Premier League title with a win at home tonight over Newcastle United; it will be Rafael Benitez’ first match in charge of the visitors following the departure of Steve McLaren but we doubt whether he’ll have had enough time to prepare this team to avoid defeat. Leicester players are expensive though so we’ll have to pick wisely.
In La Liga, Granada and Espanyol both inhabit the lower half of the table although both are in reasonable form – Granada have won two from three and their visitors three from four. This a is a tough match to call.
- We’re confident of a clean sheet for the Foxes tonight and our defence contains Kasper Schmeichel between the sticks behind Christian Fuchs.
- We anticipate a low scoring home win for Granada against Espanyol so Jean-Sylvain Babin starts in defence.
- We’re hedging our bets slightly here with Espanyol’s capable defender Javi Lopez making up the numbers.
- Riyad Mahrez returns for Leicester City following a bout of cramp and should see plenty of the ball against Newcastle tonight.
- If nothing else, Granada tend to dominate possession and we’e selected two midfielders – Abdoulaye Doucoure and Fran Rico to make the most of that midfield strength. Hopefully they can chip in with some extra points also.
- Newcastle may lose tonight but Jonjo Shelvey can be relied upon to tackle and battle for the ball in midfield.
- Our fifth man in midfield is Espanyol’s Marco Asensio who is well capable of earning points from this position in terms of assists and possession.
- Jamie Vardy needs to take what may be very few chances tonight but even one goal will mean his selection is justified. Always takes loads of shots.
- Granada’s Youssef El-Arabi has scored eight goals so far this season and four since the beginning of the year.
*In the event that certain players are not selected, last-minute changes may be required.